Year 6 Transition to Pembroke
Every year we are delighted to welcome new students as they join us at Pembroke Academy and become part of the Pembroke community. Reuben, a Year 7 student, would like to introduce you to our Academy.
This year the transition process for Year 6 students due to join us in September 2020 is very different, so we hope that the content of this welcome letter will help introduce you to this year’s virtual transition process, milestones involved and resources in support.
Due to the current situation, we will be operating a virtual transition process during the summer term. More than ever before, we understand that the transition process from primary to secondary education can be a daunting experience. We want to reassure you that we will assist you in any way we can to ensure all students arrive, whenever their first day at Pembroke may be, excited and fully informed about the next chapter of their education.
The film below will allow you and your child to see a tour of the school along with introductions from Mr Evans and Senior staff, your child’s Head of Year, Mr Brewer and several members of the year 7 Tutor team. You can watch this as many times as you wish in order to familiarise your child with the site before they arrive in September. To accompany this virtual tour we have also created a map and photo guide which can be printed to use at home.
On receipt of you accepting your place at Pembroke Academy, you received an ‘Admissions Pack’, which included a letter along with pack of administrative documents. Please ensure that those documents are completed in full and sent back to Mrs Garner as soon as possible. These include the Student entry form, Photography & Videos consent form and the Pupils Privacy Notice. Thank you to those families who have already returned their documents as previously requested.
In regards to the Pembroke Academy uniform, all the information you require is available in the box to the left, and the staff at Uniform Direct will also be more than happy to help you with any queries as the Lincoln High Street store will be open from 15th June in line with Government guidelines.
The most recent letter included an ‘All About Me’ transition activity booklet for your child to work through and return to us. This enables your child’s form tutor and Head of Year to learn more about them before starting with us in September. We would be most grateful if you could post this to Mr Brewer once completed, here at the Academy by 29th June. We are very much looking forward to meeting all our new Year 7 students and this booklet gives us an insight into each individual we have joining our Pembroke Community.
The next stages of the virtual transition process are as follows. Please follow the links to download videos and documents to support you and your child as they prepare to join Pembroke Academy in September:
- W/c 15 June – Transition Challenges These include things like: Getting fully dressed in 5 minutes or less, tying your tie and working out change from your dinner money etc. These are all key skills which will aid you in your daily life at Pembroke. We will post these on our school Twitter and Facebook page as well as send them in the mail, and you can download a copy by clicking on the title.
- Early July – Staff Q&A We hope to be able to visit your child at their primary school by July to answer any questions they may have and to talk to them further about life at Pembroke. If this can’t be in person then we will endeavour to do this on line too, where you and your child can share any concerns with us and have someone to put minds at rest.
- 1st & 2nd July at 6.30pm – Parent & Carer information evening. We will be releasing details of virtual parent & carer information evenings, to provide you with key details ahead of the summer and the start of the new academic year. Further details will be sent to all parents and carers. Please email Pembroke@prioryacademies.co.uk to receive joining details for this meeting.
- 7th July at 10am – SEND Parent & Carer virtual coffee morning. As above, we will be releasing details of virtual SEND parent & carer information meeting, to provide you with key details ahead of the summer and the start of the new academic year, and provide you with an opportunity to ask questions you may have. Please email PembrokeSEND@prioryacademies.co.uk to receive joining details for this meeting.
- Early September – we have provisionally planned for the Year 7 Meet the Tutor and Expectations Evening to take place in the first two weeks. This will be dependent on Government guidelines when issued and we will inform you closer to the date with whether or not this will go ahead as proposed or changed to a virtual event. You will also receive your copy of ‘Kensuke’s Kingdom’ by Michael Morpurgo, which will be yours to keep and read when you start at Pembroke. It will also be the book that your first Art project is based on.
Please can I assure you that we will do all we can to make the transition process for your child from primary to secondary education as smooth and enjoyable as possible. We have an incredible team of staff who help with the transition process, who will soon be at your disposal for support. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you need any urgent guidance.
Miss C. Neal Mr C Brewer Mrs S Warnock
Assistant Headteacher Head of Lower School Assistant Headteacher & SENDCo